Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sandhill Crane at the Town of Marathon dump

I paused in front of the town dump this morning to check through the swirling throng of Herring Gulls for anything different. To my surprise I saw a subadult Sandhill Crane standing only 20 m. or so from where the garbage trucks were dumping their loads. This is a pretty late occurrence for our area.
[Nov. 7 update: The crane remains at the dump. A town employee told me that bird has been in the area for several weeks.]


Our backyard feeders have been busy today:
  • Hairy Woodpecker 1
  • Downy Woodpecker 1
  • Mourning Dove 1
  • Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
  • Common Crow 2
  • Common Raven 1
  • Blue Jay 1
  • Black-capped Chickadee 7
  • American Tree Sparrow 2
  • Dark-eyed Junco 4
  • Pine Grosbeak 1
  • Evening Grosbeak 25
  • Pine Siskin 5
  • Common Redpoll ~30 (feeding in birch seeds at back of yard)

1 comment:

  1. I found your site today and I am throughly impressed. Take care in the wild country!

    ReplyDelete